Story by Ashley Traylor, Staff writer
Student Government Association met Feb. 1 to discuss reports.
Here’s what SGA is planning:
The Rally for Education is Feb. 13 in Frankfort, Kentucky, and Clint Combs, SGA president, encouraged the Student Senate to share the petition for higher education with their friends and family.
“We really need to make Murray State have a presence on that petition,” Combs said. “This isn’t a budget year, but it soon will be a budget year. This is planting the seed for that next budget cycle.”
SGA is taking students to the Capitol rotunda for the rally. Combs said the bus is leaving at 6:30 a.m. Monday. Students interested in riding with SGA can fill out an interest form at murraystate.edu/rally.
Caitlin Dunaway, vice president of finance, discussed SGA’s slip fund report from Fall 2016. Registered organizations at Murray State can request a slip fund up to $500 per semester to assist with programming.
- $325 MSU Alliance for the drag show
- $135 Mock Trial Club to assist in expenses for members to attend two tournaments
- $385 Chinese Association of Students and Scholars for their festival
- $267.54 Advocating for Respect Culture Club for advertising expenses
- $191.95 Student Health Educators Association for advertising and supplies for workshops
Upcoming events within the next week include:
- Admitted Student Open House Feb. 7 at the CFSB Center
- Olympian Lecturer Anthony Irvin Feb. 8 at 8 p.m. in the Curris Center Ballroom
- Student government elections are in March. The deadline to run for Executive or Senate positions is Feb. 27 at noon. Applications are turned into the office for Student Involvement.
SGA is also looking for students to fill the following positions:
- Senate Openings: Business (1), Education and Human Services (1), Humanities and Fine Arts (1), Regents (1), Richmond (1), White (1)
- Senate Chair Openings: Chief of Staff and University Affairs
- Campus Activities Board Chair Openings: Homecoming Chairman
- Judicial Board Openings: Alternative Associate Justice
The deadline to apply for these open positions is Feb. 3. Interviews will be held Feb. 6.