Murray resident’s home explosion under investigation

A Murray resident is in serious but stable condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center after his home exploded Sunday night.

Jackie Hernden’s home was left completely incinerated.

An emergency call came between 10:20 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Sunday night, and Calloway County Fire Rescue arrived on the scene within two minutes of the call.

Calloway County Fire Rescue Chief Thomas Morgan said the house was engulfed in flames and most of the roof was gone when first responders made it to the house on Bethel Road.

“There wasn’t a lot of the house left when they got there,” Morgan said.

It took firemen nearly 10 minutes to tame the house fire  and put out the car also engulfed in flames outside the home.

Foul play is not suspected and the incident is still under investigation by the State Fire Marshal.

Ricky Gardenhauer, public information officer for the State Fire Marshal, said it is being investigated as an accident.

“Right now it looks like is was just an accident caused by a propane tank,” Gardenhauer said.

He said propane can easily explode if not hooked up correctly.

Calloway County Fire Rescue returned Monday morning to put out hot spots.

“Especially when a building or house is under investigation we go back to put out hotspots and make sure nothing rekindles,” Morgan said.

The State Fire Marshal began its investigation Tuesday morning and a end date has yet to be determined.

Staff Report