Racers earn big win on final play

Senior running back Duane Brady avoids a tackler in the game Saturday against Jacksonville State.
Senior running back Duane Brady avoids a tackler in the game Saturday against Jacksonville State.

Senior running back Duane Brady avoids a tackler in the game Saturday against Jacksonville State.

The Racers’ fate came down to one final play Saturday night, and sophomore receiver Jeremy Harness knew the ball was coming his way.

“I knew when I got outside I was going to be wide open,” Harness said. “I just had to make sure I kept running and caught the ball when it was coming.”

Fortunately for the Racers, Harness did make the catch and ran all the way to a Murray State victory. After nine consecutive years of losing to Jacksonville State, the Racers overcame the undefeated Gamecocks 35-34 in a thrilling overtime battle.

The opening game of both teams’ OVC schedules came down to the wire, as Jacksonville State kicker Griffin Thomas tied the game at 27 with a 25-yard field goal as the fourth quarter expired.

With momentum on the Gamecock’s side, junior running back DaMarcus James capped off his impressive 229-yard rushing, three touchdown game with a quick 13-yard touchdown run to give Jacksonville State a seven-point overtime lead.

Needing a touchdown to keep the game alive, the Racer offense struggled, failing to gain any yards on their first three overtime plays. Facing fourth-and-10, sophomore quarterback Maikhail Miller found Harness for a 13-yard completion to extend the game.

Miller then proceeded to run the ball down to the one-yard line before punching it in for the score.

Faced with the choice of kicking an extra point and sending the game to double-overtime, or going for the two-point conversion to win it, Head Coach Chris Hatcher called a timeout.

After the game, Hatcher said the decision was simple.

“When you’re on the road against a team that’s ranked higher than you that you haven’t had any success against, why not?” he said.

Miller took the snap and immediately found Harness standing all alone on the right side. Harness caught the pass and sprinted into the end zone untouched before being mobbed by teammates as the Murray State sideline erupted onto the field.

“It was just like coach tells us all the time, to be ready when your number is called,” Harness said. “That’s what happened. Coach called the play, I knew it was coming to me and I was just ready when my number was called.”

Before defeating Missouri State in the final minute two weeks ago, the Racers had not won a game on the final possession during Hatcher’s four-year tenure as Head Coach. Now the Racers have won two of the last three games in comeback fashion.

More importantly, the Racers move to 3-2 on the season and are off to a perfect 1-0 start in conference play.

“It always helps to start off conference play with a win, and that’s something we haven’t done since I’ve been the coach,” Hatcher said. “To win in that fashion and play a game against a great football team and be able to make one more play than they did says a lot about the character of our team.”

While the game Saturday night is only the beginning of a grueling conference schedule, Hatcher did not downplay the importance of the victory.

“This ranks up there as one of the biggest wins I’ve ever had,” Hatcher said.

The Racers will look to improve to 2-0 in the conference next Saturday as the 3-2 Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles visit Roy Stewart stadium.

Story by Jonathan Ferris, Staff writer